Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi starring Shahrukh Khan and newcomer Anushka Sharma, directed by Aditya Chopra, who earlier directed hits like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Mohabbatein is rocking the Indian theatres. I have plans to watch this movie next weekend. However film critics have given average rating to this film. The film synopsis says..
Have you ever stopped to think if the most ordinary, uninteresting, unobtrusive man you might see on the road or around you might have a love story to tell? Maybe not! How can an ordinary man have a breathtaking, goose flesh igniting, awe inspiring love story of all things to tell? But guess what – love does not differentiate between the ordinary and exceptional, the uninteresting and interesting, the unattractive and attractive. Because love knows no distinction. It can happen to anyone and once it does it engulfs us into it completely and gives us those miraculous experiences that only love can yield. This is what happened to Surinder Sahni (Shahrukh Khan) – a simple, clean hearted, honest man working for Punjab Power, leading a humdrum life, when he meets his total opposite and finds love in the flamboyant, fun-loving, vivacious – Taani (Anushka Sharma) for whom the whole world is her canvas and she paints her own life with the colors of rainbow all until unforeseen circumstances changes it all and brings them together. What follows is a journey filled with laughter, tears, joy, pain, music, dance and a lot of love. A journey that makes us believe that there is an extraordinary love story in every ordinary jodi.
Here are some snaps of this movie —
Response from Film critics ::
- Rajeev Masand from CNN-IBN gave the film 2 stars out of 5. He described it as “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, is that much like those artificial sets in the film, the emotions too are contrived.”
- Nikhat Kazmi from The Times of India gave the film average rating 2.5 out of 5 stars.
- Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama gave the film 2 stars out of 5, described it as “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi is very desi at heart with a strong start and an equally strong emotional end.”
- Mayank Shekhar from Mumbai Mirror gave the film a average 2 out of 5.
- Noyon Jyoti Parasara from AOL rated the film just 2 out of 5, and described the film as “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ends really well. It is only the last 15 minutes that grab you and keep you to your seat. But unfortunately this does not account for a good film.”
Despite these not so good reviews, the film had a spectacular opening with shows running to packed houses at several multiplexes and single screen theatres alike. On the first day, film opened to a terrific response of 80-85% and thus earning 7.50 crore nett all over India. I think this is happening due to magic of King Khan. The actual results will be available to us only after 3-4 weeks.