Yesterday I got a mail from my reader saying that he needs a good free software which can be used to capture screenshots of any website on internet. Then I send him the list of softwares I use to capture the screen shots of different websites. Earlier when I was new on internet, I used to capture screen shots with the help of MS Paint. But soon I realized its shortcomings and disadvantages. Later I switched to a website screen capture software called WebShot. With the help of WebShot you can easily take screen shots of web pages and save them as full sized images or thumbnails.
Screenshots images can be output in the JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP formats. You can’t say its freeware as it is not completely free software. However its freeware version comes with a demo of the command line interface, which you have to purchase, and used to streamline the screen shot process on whole websites. There is one more server edition of WebShot which comes with a DLL that will allow you to embed WebShot technology in your own applications.
These are some of the salient features of WebShot ::
- Automatic determination of page width and height that captures the whole page accurately. Frame dimensions are determined and calculated on pages that have them.
- Browser size specification allows you to capture the whole page or part of it
- Image thumb nailing reduces the final capture image easily
- Timeouts allow you to wait for activex controls to load before capturing
- Image encoding to JPG, GIF, PNG, and BMP with image quality control to save on disk space
- CSV output allows you to easily parse the results of a screenshot capture operation
- CSV output of page title, meta keywords, and description helps you parse the most important information from a page
- Use within your own applications using the dll and example C source code
- Multiple threads allow you to quickly capture more screenshots without running multiple processes
- Custom user agents allow you to view a web page that might be served to other browsers
- Easily delete all of Internet Explorer’s cache, so your hard drive doesn’t get full
- Global bitmap file mapping object, reduces memory footprint for multiple threads per instance
- Configure custom HTTP post strings and HTTP authentication credentials
- Configurable message box popup automation to automatically deal with message boxes that Internet Explorer might throw
- Higher quality color quantized gif images produce better screenshots with less disk space
- PHP COM scriptability
Download the free version of WebShot