Being overweight or having more body fat than is optimally healthy can never be a good sign for anyone. It is an open invitation to several harmful diseases. But now a days it is becoming very common due to modern lifestyles bad habits of eating junk food and drinking alcohol. You would be surprised to know that around 60 of Indian upper middle class is suffering from the problem of overweight. Globally, there are more than 1 billion adults being either overweight or obese.
These are some of the main causes of weight gain.
- People who spend extra hours in front of the TV, are usually overweight because when you watch TV, you are motionless, you don’t burn your extra calories.
- Over diet :: Over eating is one of the prime reasons behind obesity. Actually our brain takes around 15-20 minutes to judge that we have sufficient diet and let’s stop eating now. So before we stop eating, we already have extra calories in our body. Also, we eat extra food we feel happy, too sad, excited, nervous, lonely or depressed.
- Most working people are obese. It is because they don’t have time to make healthy dinners at home or office. Thus they go for junk or fast food. And we all know that they have zero nutritive value and just adds up extra calories to our diet.
- No exercise :: If your calories intake is more than calories you are burning then definitely you are going to gain weight.
- Sleeping during day time also increases weight. If you are overweight, you should not sleep during day time.
- People who skip breakfast are generally overweight.
- Consuming alcohol also adds extra calories in your body. Each gram of alcohol contains 7 calories. So if you are trying to lose your weight, immediately stop consuming alcohol in any form.
- Sleeping just after having dinner leads to fat accumulation. So you should take at least 2 hours after dinner before going to sleep.
- Cold drinks are full of extra calories. And if you are mixing alcohol with cold drink in parties or social gathering, you are in real danger of being overweight.
- Not eating fruits, green vegetables also leads to obesity.
- Some people gain weight when they stop smoking. One reason is that food often tastes and smells better after quitting smoking. Another reason is because nicotine raises the rate at which your body burns calories, so you burn fewer calories when you stop smoking.