Smoking is the the inhalation of smoke from burned dried or cured leaves of the tobacco plant. Generally People smoke for pleasure, for ritualistic or social purposes, or for self-medication, as well as to satisfy a physiological dependence on nicotine. Everyone knows that smoking is injurious to health. The main health risks in tobacco pertain to diseases of the cardiovascular system, in particular myocardial infarction (heart attack), diseases of the respiratory tract such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), asthma, emphysema, and cancer, particularly lung cancer and cancers of the larynx and tongue. Passive or involuntary smoking occurs when the exhaled and ambient smoke (otherwise known as environmental or secondhand smoke) from one person’s cigarette is inhaled by other people. Passive smoking involves inhaling carcinogens, as well as other toxic components, that are present in secondhand tobacco smoke.
Secondhand smoke is known to harm children, infants and reproductive health through acute lower respiratory tract illness, asthma induction and exacerbation, chronic respiratory symptoms, middle ear infection, lower birth weight babies, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. So if you are smoker this article is for you. I guraantee if you follow these below-mentioned tips, you will definetely be able to quit smoking.
- First of all decide that “I have to quit smoking at any cost.” Make a big banner and put it on the wall. If you are software professional put this banner as wallpaper of your pc. The most important thing for quitting is your faith, your confidence and determination. At that moment of time remember all the tough events of your life, how you managed those problems and came out from them successfully.
- Prepare a big list of advantages (long life, better health, happy family, money saving etc.) of quitting smoking and always keep in your pocket, whenever you fill to light the cigarette, read that list once again. Also prepare another list of disadvantages of smoking and keep it into another pocket. Both lists will always stop you from smoking cigarette.
- Inform all your friends and family memebers that you are going to quit smoking. Especiall request all your smoker friends not to smoke infront of you. I am confident your family and friends will gladly support your decision to quit smoking. Also talk with your doctor about quitting. Support and guidance from a physician is also very important for successful quit. Believe me, if you find any other smoker who is going to quit, then this job will become very easier for you. So find some another smoker who is trying to quit, and help each other with discussing advantages of quitting smoking and disadvantages of smoking.
- Now set a date for quit. Remove all the traces of cigarettes from you room, office, car etc. Celebrate your last cigarette and I will suggest you to smoke that brand which you don’t like.
- Always try to spend your maximum time in non-smoking zone. Ignore your smoker friends. If someone is smoking infront of you then request him not to do so and explain him you decision and suggest him to quit also.
- Follow good health habits, like regular morning walk, breathing fresh air, drinking lots of water, eating fresh fruits and vegetables etc. Try to avoid alcohol, coffee, and other beverages that you associate with cigarette smoking.
- (NRT)Nicotine replacement therapy, such as nicotine patches or chewing gum, may be a good idea for those who smoke heavily or who feel they may need the extra help. There are also medicines available on prescription for which you have to talk to your doctor.
- If you find you are losing motivation to quit, remind yourself of the many medical and financial benefits of quitting, check your pockets for disadvantages of smoking. Imagine the face of your chid, wife and other family members. What will be the impact if you again start smoking? Believe me if you think like this you’ll never light the cigarette again.