India has about 45 million internet users. Some of the global websites like Google, Yahoo, msn etc are very popular in India. But have you ever thought about the top websites in India which are completely Indian. I am talking about sites of Indian origin. Today I will discuss top ten websites of India which are of Indian origin. These ten websites are less popular in India as compared to Google, Yahoo and Orkut. Still Indian websites are much behind in the implementation of web 2.0 features. Now let’s see the list.
Rediff is the purely Indian web portal which is in first 100 websites of world according to Alexa. About 67 % of the 5 million visitors to Rediff.com come from India while the rest come primarily from the USA and UAE. Rediff.com also offers one of the oldest and largest Indian weekly newspapers, India Abroad, which it acquired in 2001 during the days of DotCom bubble. Rediff.com with alexa ranking 68 is one of the premier worldwide online providers of news, information, communication, entertainment and shopping services. It is mainly used for its mail services i.e rediffmail. It also provides a platform for Indians worldwide to connect with one another online. But this social networking site of rediff is no way comparable to other giants like orkut, facebook, myspace etc.
Indiatimes is is the portal of The Times of India Group, here you can find contents of famous newspapers of Times group like The Times of India, The Economic Times, Navbharat Times and Maharashtra Times. Apart from News, mailing service, Sports, Cricket, Astrology, and a number of other things, IndiaTimes also offers Shopping & Travel. Times Group has a 90% stake in it whereas remaining 10% stake is held by Seqouia Capital. Recently it has started a new Digg type service called coollinks.
Naukri.com is number 1 job portal in India, it is owned by the Info Edge India Limited. It has make job search easier for Indian graduates. According to their latest claims, they have got database of more than 50k recruiters from all over the world.
Bharatstudent.com is India’s third most popular social networking website after orkut and facebook. Its aim to bring together all the young Indians living across the globe. It is for every Young Indian who is a student or a non-student, fresh graduate, a working professional or you can say they want every student of Bharat to be their member. Here you can find latest film news, gossips, photo galleries, wallpapers, trailers and event videos.
MoneyControl.com is India’s number 1 source for financial information, stock news, finance etc. It s the official website of CNBC TV18. Here you can get quality news, views, and analysis on equity, stock markets, commodities, personal finance, mutual funds, insurance and loans.
Sify is one of the oldest Internet service providers in India. It has got 1.6 million visitors every month. Sify was the fist company in India who started internet portals and provided Internet Service. It leased international bandwidth from global vendors, domestic connectivity from telecom players and set up last mile connectivity by multiple methods: wi-fi connections using roof top antennae, copper connections using phone lines or cable tv connections. Sify also started providing internet network connectivity for business enterprises in India. It has also started a chain of franchised internet cafes (more than 3,500 cybercafes). Sify holds the largest chain of cybercafes in India. On Sify’s portal you can find news, business, shopping, sports, movies, vedic astrology, food, and bollywood videos for Indians and NRIs.
IRCTC.co.in is mainly famous for online rail tickets reservation. It pioneered the online rail ticket booking in India through various latest technologies like, Mobile phones, SMS etc. Today It takes only 5 minutes to book a ticket in any Indian rail through this website.
ICICI Bank is India’s second largest bank after SBI with total assets of US$ 96 billion. ICICI Bank is second amongst all the companies listed on the Indian stock exchanges in terms of free float market capitalisation. No doubt its website is also very popular. You can check all your account details, do transaction, online payment, see credit card statements and much more.
Raaga is India’s top music website. Here you can find Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Punjabi, Malayalam, Sanskrit songs. They are having large collection of well categorized songs. There are also a large number of devotional songs and patriotic songs are also available in this website. It’s free to join, you can create your own playlist to play. Users can play the song in Raaga’s Juke box.
TimesJobs yet another Indian Job Portal having Alexa ranking under 1000.